Monday, March 28, 2011

Three fingerfehlers

My first great love, games-wise, was chess. My father taught me how to play when I was about nine or ten. I still love chess, but don't get the chance to play very often. I try to keep my skills in shape by doing the daily chess puzzle at chessgames.com. Why am I nattering on about chess, you ask? Simple, really -- a chess locution inspired the title of this post.

Many of the best chess-inspired words happen to be in the German language; fingerfehler is no exception. It basically means a slip of the finger, and refers to when you intend to make one move but inexplicably make another one instead. Fingerfehlers are possible in online poker, too; they manifest when you intend to click on one thing but click on something else.

On Friday night, I had three fingerfehlers:

1. when joining my first table, I clicked on the minimum initial stake amount ($12,000) by mistake, instead of the maximum ($40,000). This turned out to be a stroke of luck, since I hit the felt very shortly thereafter. When that happened, I joined a second table for the maximum initial stake.

2. on one hand, I distinctly remember saying to myself, "I'll call that bet", but then clicked on the Fold button instead. Considering the thousands and thousands of hands I've played on PokerStars over the last 2 1/2 years, that was bound to happen sometime! This second fingerfehler was fortuitous also, since it saved me some chips.

3. at one point, I was reviewing my stats for the night and mistakenly clicked on the Reset button, wiping out my stats up to that point. This was the first I learned of the existence of this dastardly button. There are at least three buttons in the PokerStars software I think should be removed, since no one would ever want to click on them; the Reset stats button is one.

At the second table, my stack dropped down to as low as $15,700 at one point, but I had a nice rally at the end which brought it up to exactly double that, $31,400.

delta: $-20,600
balance: $1,044,834

No comments:

Post a Comment