Thursday, March 10, 2011

CHEEP

Last night, I was a victim of CHEEP, and it was quite costly. CHEEP is my latest poker neologism; it stands for Creeping Hold'Em Evaluation Prejudice. That's the phenomenon of slowly but surely reverting to one's previous, and deeply ingrained, understanding of the intrinsic value of certain poker hands in Hold'em, while you happen to be playing a totally different poker variant (such as Omaha). In a nutshell, you grossly overvalue what are actually quite marginal hands. The reason why this phenomenon is creeping is that you tell yourself early on, quite sensibly, to be on the high alert for just this sort of prejudice, but insensibly your good intentions melt away. To use terms from psychology to help illustrate the point, your superego tells you to beware, but when your id sees a really good Hold'em hand, it overwhelms the superego and you can't help yourself from betting foolishly :-)

I hit the felt twice last night. I knew it wasn't my night, and didn't hazard a third table. Amazing as it seems to me now, damned if I didn't go all in on a two pair on my final hand. I swore I'd never do such a thing! To add insult to injury, I hit a full house on the river, only to lose to a better one.

During current Omaha session you were dealt 35 hands and saw flop:
- 4 out of 5 times while in big blind (80%)
- 3 out of 6 times while in small blind (50%)
- 20 out of 24 times in other positions (83%)
- a total of 27 out of 35 (77%)
Pots won at showdown - 3 of 11 (27%)
Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $-4,000
balance: $1,042,657

No comments:

Post a Comment