Sunday, March 6, 2011

Charlie Sheen and me

Charlie Sheen is the man of the moment right now; he just set a Guinness world record for amassing the most Twitter followers in a 24 hour period, he's all over the airwaves, and he's on the cover of People magazine.What could I possibly have in common with him? I certainly don't believe I have tiger blood, or Adonis DNA, or that I'm "WINNING!", or that people just need to "Bring it!" to me.

Or do I?

Actually, the truth is that I do believe these things, in the universe reduced to the realm of the wonderful green felt of poker. It's not even that embarrassing to admit, if you look at it in the right way. At its most elemental, the belief boils down to this: "I know I can beat you at poker, because I know I'm better at poker than you are."

Charlie Sheen believe he's better than the mass of humanity at many different things; I believe I'm better than the mass of humanity at poker. The fact that Charlie believes himself better than the mass of humanity at many different things doesn't make him any less deluded that I am for believing myself better than the mass of humanity at poker; but -- and this is a significant but -- it doesn't make him any more deluded, either.

What am I really trying to say? I guess just simply this: delusion is in the eye of the beholder.

Last night, I hit the felt at the first two tables I joined. Did I join a third? You might have an inkling that I did. Did I kick ass at that third table? You might have a suspicion that I did. Did I believe, when joining that third table, that I would be able to effect an in-session rebound? You bet I did!

During current Omaha session you were dealt 69 hands and saw flop:
- 15 out of 15 times while in big blind (100%)
- 13 out of 13 times while in small blind (100%)
- 39 out of 41 times in other positions (95%)
- a total of 67 out of 69 (97%)
Pots won at showdown - 7 of 17 (41%)
Pots won without showdown - 6

delta: $610
balance: $1,044,327

No comments:

Post a Comment