Friday, March 11, 2011

Criminal negligence

Last night, I played quite well; however, I had a monumental mental lapse on one hand that took me almost all the way down to the felt. I lost the rest of my chips shortly thereafter. On that one hellish hand, I broke all three of the most basic poker rules; I didn't look, I didn't think, and I didn't listen. Actually, that's not strictly true; to be precise, I looked a little bit, thought even less, and didn't listen at all.

What makes the lapse especially painful is that I was done in by a weakness in my play which I've already identified, but have yet to correct; namely, the occasional failure to check for a straight draw on the board. The turn card gave me a set of eights, but it also put a straight draw on the board. My eyes turned into dollar signs and my brain turned off. My opponent indeed had the straight, and bet like he did. I lost a whopping $2,835 in play money on the hand.

It was criminal negligence on my part not to check for a straight draw. I've actually trained myself always to look for a full house draw, and always to look for a flush draw, but when both of those checks turn up empty, sometimes I'm so relieved that I don't do the final bit of due diligence and check for the straight draw. I hope I've learned my lesson this time!

During current Omaha session you were dealt 59 hands and saw flop:
- 11 out of 11 times while in big blind (100%)
- 13 out of 13 times while in small blind (100%)
- 35 out of 35 times in other positions (100%)
- a total of 59 out of 59 (100%)
Pots won at showdown - 7 of 18 (38%)
Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $-2,000
balance: $1,040,657

No comments:

Post a Comment