Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Omaha musts

Omaha is like Hold'em on steroids; very strong hands are much more likely, and consequently you have to play much more carefully. The musts in Omaha are really the same as the musts in Hold'em, which are really the same as the musts in poker generally; the only difference is that the consequences for failing to perform them in Omaha are much more severe!

The cardinal Omaha must is to know when your hand can be beaten. You must know whether the board supports a straight when you have a set. You must know whether the board supports a flush when you have a straight. You must know whether the board supports a full house when you have a flush. You must know whether the board supports a straight flush when you have a full house. These are all just poker basics.

I've identified a weak spot in my basic skills; it's probably a fairly common weakness. I don't always recognize when the board supports a straight. It's probably the most difficult of the board-supported hands to check for.

Last Thursday night, I won a pot worth $5,300 on my very first hand; if I'd quit then, I would have had a bigger gain than I eventually did, but I wanted to have some fun.

During current Omaha session you were dealt 22 hands and saw flop:
- 3 out of 3 times while in big blind (100%)
- 1 out of 3 times while in small blind (33%)
- 12 out of 16 times in other positions (75%)
- a total of 16 out of 22 (72%)
Pots won at showdown - 3 of 6 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 0

delta: $2,268
balance: $1,021,665

No comments:

Post a Comment