Saturday, February 26, 2011

Note to self: read the fine print

It's embarrassing to admit it, but I've wasted good play money on a ghost house twice now in the last three sessions. Last night, as during my Wednesday night session, I saw a ghost house that could only be formed by using one and only one of my hole cards. I think I implied in my earlier post that I'd used three hole cards to make my ghost house, but that wasn't actually the case. Shorting the number of hole cards used is actually a more egregious error than using an extra one, since the more your hand relies on community cards, the more likely it is to be beaten.

Almost as embarrassing to admit is that there was a ready remedy for my faulty poker vision, but I'd forgotten about it. The PokerStars software discreetly displays the value of the best hand you can make onscreen, and if I'd simply looked at what was displayed I would have known I didn't have a full house, and wouldn't have continued betting. Probably that information is displayed too discreetly, as it's in a smallish font in an understated color. Note to self: read the fine print!

During current Omaha session you were dealt 7 hands and saw flop:
- 0 out of 0 times while in big blind (0%)
- 1 out of 1 times while in small blind (100%)
- 5 out of 6 times in other positions (83%)
- a total of 6 out of 7 (85%)
Pots won at showdown - 2 of 4 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 0

delta: $-2,000
balance: $1,037,970

No comments:

Post a Comment