Monday, September 27, 2010

The seductiveness of loose play

Last night, I played fine for the first 27 hands, then played way too loosely on the final hand. On the flop, I inexplicalled a huge bet of 16,200 with only a king high. When the turn gave me top pair (tens) with a great kicker, I thought I was in great shape, so I called again, which put me all in (an additional 2,500 chips). Not only did I not have the best hand, I didn't even have the second best hand. An opponent with a straight won a side pot worth 85,082, and another opponent with a flush won the main pot of 40,200.

The thing is, my inexplicall actually did have some reasoning behind it (though not a lot). I'd noticed that the table was playing really loosely, so I thought it was safer to bet big without the absolute nuts than it normally is. Loose play is very seductive; you see players win huge pots with marginal hands, and you tell yourself "I'm getting myself some of that easy money, too".

On the whole though, I'm actually pleased with my play. If I had to choose between playing too loose or too tight, I'd pick too loose.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 28 hands and saw flop:
- 3 out of 5 times while in big blind (60%)
- 3 out of 5 times while in small blind (60%)
- 12 out of 18 times in other positions (66%)
- a total of 18 out of 28 (64%)
Pots won at showdown - 1 of 3 (33%)
Pots won without showdown - 1

delta: $-40,000
balance: $957,891

No comments:

Post a Comment