Sunday, September 26, 2010

Impatience never pays

Last night, I went back to my favorite flavor of poker, pot limit Hold'em. Unfortunately, I joined a table which had one extremely aggressive player; he kept betting indiscriminately, losing his whole starting stack, and immediately replenishing it for the maximum amount. It's wearying to play against such players, since there's no way to tell when they might actually have a hand. They play with such reckless abandon, they're guaranteed to lose in the long run, but in the meantime, they play havoc with your game. The mistake I made was not that I played recklessly when the reckless player was at the table; it was that when he finally left the table, I suddenly became impatient to win, knowing that it was now much more possible. Impatience at the poker table never pays. I paid way too much chasing a flush, and in general was paying too much and not folding enough. I quit before I hit the felt.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 74 hands and saw flop:
- 9 out of 11 times while in big blind (81%)
- 12 out of 13 times while in small blind (92%)
- 36 out of 50 times in other positions (72%)
- a total of 57 out of 74 (77%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 16 (25%)
Pots won without showdown - 5

delta: $-21,800
balance: $997,891

No comments:

Post a Comment