Friday, July 30, 2010

A new tool

I've added a new tool to my bag of tricks -- checking on the river. I think of it as the poker equivalent of the adage "Nothing is often a smart thing to do, and always the right thing to say". Here are some good reasons to check on the river:

1. if you have a monster hand, you'll be in position to check-raise very strongly if anyone dares to bet. People who've already put down additional chips on the river have a harder time laying down their hands, so you can end up with more chips.

2. if you have a marginal hand, you have the option of simply folding if anyone bets. Betting on the river with a marginal hand doesn't have any upside.

3. if you have a strong hand, but think there's an outside chance you're beaten, you can minimize your risk by checking.

My most memorable play last night was when I laid down a flush; three of a kind was showing on the board, and I was pretty sure my remaining opponent had a full house. He did; I know this because he showed his cards at the end.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 67 hands and saw flop:
- 8 out of 10 times while in big blind (80%)
- 8 out of 10 times while in small blind (80%)
- 33 out of 47 times in other positions (70%)
- a total of 49 out of 67 (73%)
Pots won at showdown - 9 of 18 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 4

delta: $20,686
balance: $892,350

No comments:

Post a Comment