Friday, July 23, 2010

The experience paradox

The more experience I gain playing poker, the better I play against experienced players. However, I may actually play somewhat worse against inexperienced players than I did when I had less experience. Inexperienced players are tough to play against; they don't know what they don't know, and therefore can make really bold moves with impunity, not knowing how bold they're actually being!

In last night's session, I folded several hands early on that I would have won had I stayed in the hand. However, I folded based on the hands which my opponents appeared to be representing by their betting patterns, whether or not they were actually doing so purposely. I consoled myself with the knowledge that it's much better to fold and be wrong than not to fold and be wrong.

My patience was eventually rewarded, and I ended the night on the plus side of the ledger. My last hand, I was dealt two kings and two more showed up on the board. I won a modest pot of $12,800 with them.

delta: $22,438
balance: $794,570

No comments:

Post a Comment