Monday, June 28, 2010

Stubbornness

Last Thursday's session was a winning one for one reason and one reason only -- I was too stubborn to lay down pocket queens. I had no real business staying in the hand, but I stayed in anyway, and won with them. That hand gave me lift; I drifted slowly down from that point on, but called it a night before I came back too far.

Here's how the hand played out:

my chip stack at the start of the hand: $38,000

my hole cards: Qh Qd

pre flop betting round:

I raised the big blind of $200 by $200
an opponent reraised me $1300
a third player and I called

flop: Jd 4h 6s

flop betting round:

I checked; the reraiser from the previous betting round bet $1,000. The third player folded, and I called.

turn: 7c

turn betting round:

I checked, and the reraiser from the first betting round bet $5,000. I called.

river: 5s

river betting round:

I bet $10,000, and the reraiser raised me $668 to go all in. I called.

The reraiser showed Tc Ad, for a high card ace. I showed my pair of queens, and won a pot worth $38,936.

my chip stack at the end of the hand: $58,568

I stayed in the hand for two reasons: 1. my queens were overcards to the board 2. the board never paired. My $10,000 bet was basically a semi-bluff. At the time I made it, I wasn't thinking in terms of how many chips the reraiser then had, but probably would have made the same bet in any case.

It makes no sense to me why the reraiser went all in when he did, on an ace high; he must have been on tilt, though I hadn't detected it. Be that as it may, I was happy to take his chips!

delta: $12,468
balance: $712,179

No comments:

Post a Comment