Friday, June 4, 2010

Freerolling

Every so often I realize after losing a big hand that my opponent could have gotten even more chips from me. It's those situations when my opponent was in a freeroll position, but eventually stopped reraising my raises. Though I'm grateful for the pass, I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake when I find myself in a freeroll position.

The last hand of last night's session, I found myself in that position, and kept reraising until my opponent went all in.

my chip stack at the start of the hand: $40,880
my hole cards: 2s 2h
flop: 2d 3s As
turn: 3c
river: 8s
losing hand: 2c Ad for two pair, aces and threes
winning hand: full house, deuces full of threes
my chip stack at the end of the hand: $72,196

As you see, my opponent fell in love with a stealth two pair; I can relate! I would have won with just the set of twos, but the fact that I made a full house on the turn meant that I was in a freeroll position. I was essentially safe to bet my whole stack. Technically, it wasn't an ironclad freeroll since there were a small number of hands which could still beat me. By my count, only 7: a pair of threes (1 possibility), a pair of eights (3 possibilities), or a pair of aces (3 possibilities).

delta: $31,996
balance: $783,840

P.S. In case you were stumped, I came up with the neologism Gibraltar because of the similarity between the shape of my stack size over time in those types of sessions with the shape of the horizon formed by the land masses on each side of the Strait of Gibraltar and the Strait itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment