Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Streak

Don't look now, but I'm on a hot streak. Counting tonight's session, I've had six plus sessions in a row. I'm gonna keep this ball rolling as long as I can! I'm in the proverbial zone. I'm sure there will be lean times ahead, but right now I'm living off the fat of the land.

What I see myself getting better and better at is folding when it's right to fold. For example, twice tonight I folded pre-flop when it was clear there were multiple players who were going to keep re-raising each other. Each time I donated a mere $10 to the pot. It really makes no sense to me why anyone would keep re-raising pre-flop, to the point where the pot gets to be 100 times the big blind. That's the behavior of hard-core losing gamblers; no one who hopes to come out on top over the long haul could follow such a risky strategy. You should only bet that much when you have much more information than you do pre-flop.

One temptation I wasn't faced with tonight was chasing a flush; that's still a recurring weakness in my game. I can say I've never been tempted to chase a gut-shot straight; that would be insanity, plain and simple. However, I do notice the times when the insanity would have paid off; I would have won an additional decent-sized pot tonight if I were a gut-shot chaser.

My last winning hand of the night (which is now almost invariably the penultimate hand -- I always play one more hand after winning a big hand just for luck), I was dealt ace jack offsuit. The flop was king ace queen. The turn was another king, and the river was a 4. My two pair of aces and kings beat two pair of kings and queens in a side pot, and a pair of kings in the main pot. The total of the side pot and the main pot was $2,615.

delta: $1,055
balance: $272,296

No comments:

Post a Comment