Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Nut flush shocker

My first hand of the night, I was dealt an ace of spades ("the prettiest card in the deck", as I've heard Norman Chad call it), and a ten of spades. Two of the flop cards were spades. I ignored my own advice, and chased the flush. It hit on the river! So I'm airtight with the nut flush, right? Wrong! I got beat by a straight flush. The odds against this happening are astronomical. That hand cut my stack in half. If I'd won that hand, I would have ended my night right there, since the pot was worth $4,975.

When I won a pot with a two pair several hands after that, and another pot with pocket rockets a couple of hands after that, I decided to call it a night, since I was up a respectable amount. Anything on the plus side of the ledger after that first heartbreaking hand was fine with me!

I was actually lucky that the player with the straight flush had less money than I did before the hand started. I'm sure I would have gone all in with my ace high flush. Sometimes the long shots come home; you just have to accept that. I know I have.

delta: $630
balance: $268,221

No comments:

Post a Comment