Thursday, January 28, 2010

Back to earth

My winning streak ended tonight. I knew I was in trouble when I finally got a premium hand -- a straight -- and had a split pot with it. I picked up a mere pittance above what I'd invested, and had the gut feeling that I was headed for the felt. Sometimes, you just know. The thing is, in those situations, there's often not a damn thing you can do about it. I was one of the short stacks for much of the night, and the bigger stacks were pricing me out of the market. I had to pay more to see flops than I wanted, but I had to see some flops if I wanted to have any chance of getting back on my feet.

At a certain point, you get into a poker death spiral; at that point, you're completely in the hands of fate. You don't have enough chips to even make any real decisions, good or bad; your only real option is to throw your chips in and pray.

It still floors me how some players join the table with less than the maximum starting amount; they're just courting the poker death spiral, in my opinion.

I'm disappointed by my results tonight, but not devastated, or even discouraged. I knew I was due for some bad luck after the incredible dose of good luck I got last night.

delta: -$2,000
balance: $273,906

No comments:

Post a Comment