Sunday, September 8, 2013

How not to not go broke

Poker is all about not going broke when you can help it. Last night, my final hand of the night was on object lesson in how not to not go broke. I'd played reasonably well all session long, started the final hand with a slight profit, and hit Broadway (an ace high straight) on the turn. When the river paired the board, I should have slowed way down, since it made a full house possible. I did nothing of the sort. Not only did I lead out with a large bet ($3,800), I got in a raising war and ended up going all in. Sure enough, my opponent had a full house, and I hit the felt. Had I had the sense simply to call my opponent's river raise, I would have ended the hand with $8,146 instead of nothing. It simply doesn't pay to bet as if you have the nuts when you don't. I should know that by now, but occasionally I forget :-)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 130 hands and saw flop:
 - 17 out of 19 times while in big blind (89%)
 - 13 out of 21 times while in small blind (61%)
 - 42 out of 90 times in other positions (46%)
 - a total of 72 out of 130 (55%)
 Pots won at showdown - 10 of 19 (52%)
 Pots won without showdown - 9

delta: $-20,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,038,394
balance: $7,395,347

No comments:

Post a Comment