Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"Always going broke" hands

Certain hands are good enough in the context in which they arise that they're known as "always going broke" hands. This doesn't mean that you'll always go broke with them; not by a long shot! It simply means you'll always be willing to go broke with them, since the odds against that happening are heavily in your favor. When you go broke with an "always going broke" hand, you'll have run into a cooler. That's what happened to me on the final hand of last night's session. I was dealt 5d As, the flop came 2h Qs 4h, and the turn was 3s, giving me a straight. An opponent bet $1,200 on the turn, and I raised to $2,400; another opponent and the original bettor called. After the river of 9c, the original bettor checked, I went all in for my last $4,891, the other opponent raised to $9,782, and the original bettor folded. The other opponent turned over 6s 5s to win a pot worth $21,482, and I hit the felt.

If the board had shown four cards to a straight, I never would have gone all in. However, since it only showed three cards to a straight, it required both hole cards for any player to make a straight. The odds were very slight that anyone else had also made a straight, which is what made this an "always going broke" hand for me.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 116 hands and saw flop:
 - 10 out of 14 times while in big blind (71%)
 - 10 out of 15 times while in small blind (66%)
 - 50 out of 87 times in other positions (57%)
 - a total of 70 out of 116 (60%)
 Pots won at showdown - 10 of 19 (52%)
 Pots won without showdown - 8

delta: $-20,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,046,960
balance: $7,403,913

No comments:

Post a Comment