Friday, September 13, 2013

Bad river money

There are times when it pays to bet big on the river, and there are other times when it makes no sense to bet a single chip. If you do happen to bet in those latter situations, that's what I call bad river money. Last night, I spent bad river money on hand 14. I'd flopped a set of nines, but the board was showing two pairs, aces and sevens. I was toast if my opponent had an ace, so it didn't make any sense to bet. I didn't recognize this basic truth, and bet $3,800. My opponent called, had an ace, and won a pot worth $15,300. Poker is hard enough to win without making stupid mistakes; add them in, and the task is near impossible. In my defense, I was a bit distracted since I was watching some exciting action from a WCOOP (World Championship of Online Poker) tournament on PokerStars.TV.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 60 hands and saw flop:
 - 8 out of 9 times while in big blind (88%)
 - 7 out of 10 times while in small blind (70%)
 - 24 out of 41 times in other positions (58%)
 - a total of 39 out of 60 (65%)
 Pots won at showdown - 4 of 16 (25%)
 Pots won without showdown - 2

delta: $-40,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,972,687
balance: $7,329,640

No comments:

Post a Comment