Friday, May 3, 2013

The most dangerous kind of opponent

Given the amount of poker I play, you'd think that I'd run into the most dangerous kind of opponent fairly frequently. I'm happy to report that this is not the case, although I did run into this kind of opponent again last night. The most dangerous kind of opponent is not a highly skilled player. In fact, he has no skill at all. He simply doesn't care if he wins or loses, and therefore is able to make an endless series of risky bets. Endless until his money runs out, that is. Such a player is ludicrously easy to spot; he bets way too much way too frequently, keeps hitting the felt, and keeps reupping for the max. The main problem one has playing against such a player is resisting the temptation to teach him a lesson. His style of play is truly a sore trial. It's not poker, and it's not fun to play against. I hereby make a promise to myself to leave the table immediately whenever I next encounter this style of play. Last night, I couldn't resist calling all in preflop against Mr. Dangerous when I was dealt a big slick; he'd already hit the felt three times and I felt it would be good for him to hit it a fourth. Two players acting after me also called Mr. Dangerous's huge bet, one of them going all in to do so. Wouldn't you know, Mr. Dangerous lucked out, and won one of the largest pots I've ever seen in my PokerStars career - $230,023. I just ran the numbers and found that he'd only had a 19.85% chance of winning. I'd rather play a highly skilled poker player every time.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 53 hands and saw flop:
 - 4 out of 7 times while in big blind (57%)
 - 2 out of 7 times while in small blind (28%)
 - 17 out of 39 times in other positions (43%)
 - a total of 23 out of 53 (43%)
 Pots won at showdown - 1 of 4 (25%)
 Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $-40,000
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,899,137
balance: $7,348,545

No comments:

Post a Comment