Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rocketing earthward

Last June, when I lost $240,000 over 3 sessions, I felt like I was in freefall. With last night's double felting, I've now lost $256,150 in my last 4 sessions. Right now, I don't feel like I'm in freefall; I feel like I'm actively rocketing myself earthward. This has to stop!

The funny thing is, absent the first hand that took me to the felt last night, I played quite well. On that hand, I should have folded on the river; my opponent went all in when the river card was a third community heart. Embarrassing to admit, I didn't do the due diligence to see if there was a flush draw; if I had, I would have realized that my three of a kind was very likely second best. That bad decision (or more accurately, non-decision) cost me an additional $13,800.

The second time I went to the felt, I was plain unlucky. I'd flopped a queen high club flush, and went all in with it. I got one caller; he had the ace of clubs and a non-club. I was a 75% favorite after the flop and an 86% favorite after the turn, but the river was the jack of clubs, and I was done for the night.

One good takeaway from this slump is that I'm noticing a pattern that I can take steps to avoid - I'm doing myself in with both all in calls and all in bets. If I can severely cut down on the number of times I go all in, I think I'll be able to right the ship.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 73 hands and saw flop:
- 8 out of 11 times while in big blind (72%)
- 7 out of 10 times while in small blind (70%)
- 34 out of 52 times in other positions (65%)
- a total of 49 out of 73 (67%)
Pots won at showdown - 3 of 10 (30%)
Pots won without showdown - 8

delta: $-80,000
balance: $3,189,969

No comments:

Post a Comment