Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Check-raising on the river

Last night, I had a short and sweet session. I won my largest pot on hand 8, when I check-raised on the river. I'd been dealt 7c Jc, and the flop came Ac 8c 2h. The turn card missed me, but I hit my flush on the river. I was the first to act, and checked. I knew if I bet anything, I might not get any callers. When one of my two remaining opponents bet $2,000, and the other called, I raised it up to $4,000. Both of them called, and I won a pot worth $16,000.

The beauty of the check-raise is that if you only use it sparingly, your opponents will have no way of knowing if you're bluffing. As a matter of fact, I never bluff check-raise; that's a fine tactic to use when you're heads up, but it doesn't fly when you have more than one opponent. The only times I check-raise are when I'm sure I have the best hand, and want to extract the most profit I can from the pot.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 25 hands and saw flop:
- 1 out of 3 times while in big blind (33%)
- 3 out of 4 times while in small blind (75%)
- 15 out of 18 times in other positions (83%)
- a total of 19 out of 25 (76%)
Pots won at showdown - 3 of 4 (75%)
Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $14,800
balance: $3,382,504

No comments:

Post a Comment