Thursday, December 3, 2009

The importance of seeing the flop

The more I play, the more I appreciate the importance of seeing the flop. Poker is a game played with limited information, and seeing the flop gives you a lot more information and allows you to evaluate your chances much more accurately. If you get too cute and decide your hand just can't win before you've seen the flop, you can end up kicking yourself.

I think a good rule of thumb is that you should see the flop about 75% of the time. Of course, that number adjusts up or down depending on the aggressiveness of the other players at the table. But even with very aggressive players, I think you should still see the flop about 60% of the time. Otherwise, you're just not giving yourself enough chances to win.

Tonight's session didn't really have a monster hand. But I can't complain; I made a decent amount and have now had four winning sessions in a row. Speaking of which, since I started recording my stats on pokerstars, I've had 35 losing sessions and 76 winning ones. That's another good rule of thumb -- you should aim to have at least twice as many winning sessions as losing ones.

delta: $1,620
balance: $252,559

No comments:

Post a Comment