Wednesday, December 23, 2009

98% of my decisions tonight were good ones

With this title, it's impossible to know without reading the post whether I won or lost, for it's entirely possible for one decision in fifty to be disastrous enough to lose you all your chips. I played a little over 50 hands, and only made a bad decision on one that I can recall. I made a straight on the turn, and didn't bet it aggressively enough. I got greedy, and tried to reel some more chips in by slow-playing it. If I'd bet it out on the turn, it probably wouldn't have gone to the river. Actually, now that I think about it, I made more than one bad decision on this hand. The other bad decision was to bet the pot on the river, without ascertaining whether or not there was a hand out there which could beat me. You guessed it, there was. My wheel (ace to five straight) lost to a two to six straight, which my opponent made with the river 5. Losing that hand took me down to about $1,200.

I eventually built it up above $2,000 again, and was waiting for a big enough hand to end my night reasonably on the plus side. I finally got it with a jack high flush, beating two pairs for $1,460.

I got some good practice dealing with an aggressive player tonight. He routinely raised pre-flop, almost regardless of what he was dealt, and his stack was fluctuating wildly. I had to resist the impulse to play as aggressively as he was, and was rewarded when his aggression eventually got the better of him and he hit the felt. Coincidentally, my session ender occurred just a couple of hands after that.

delta: $1,126
balance: $265,895

No comments:

Post a Comment