Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The crooked straight

I didn't hit the felt last night, but certainly deserved to. On hand 74, I hit the nut straight on the river. No flush was possible, but the board was showing a pair, so a full house was possible. There were three of us still in the hand; I was second to act. The player acting before me, who had both me and the third player covered, went all in. I called, and the third player called after me. Luckily for me, the third player, who had the best holding, started the hand with less chips than me. I avoided the felt by winning a side pot worth $12,634; the third player won the main pot, which was worth a whopping $101,733. He'd hit his full house on the river.

Why do I call my holding a crooked straight? Two reasons:

1. the board was showing a pair
2. I was not the last person to act

If two opponents are willing to go all in when the board is showing a pair, chances are one of them has a full house. Since I was not the last person to act, I couldn't know beforehand whether the third player would call, so I had no business calling myself. It's elementary logic, but I missed it in the heat of the moment.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 86 hands and saw flop:
 - 11 out of 15 times while in big blind (73%)
 - 14 out of 17 times while in small blind (82%)
 - 31 out of 54 times in other positions (57%)
 - a total of 56 out of 86 (65%)
 Pots won at showdown - 8 of 21 (38%)
 Pots won without showdown - 13

delta: $-29,184
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $4,759,536
balance: $7,208,944

No comments:

Post a Comment