Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chicago poker

On Monday night, I joined a table which had some very heavy bettors. If you don't want to hit the felt quickly when in this situation, you have to adopt a strategy I'll call "Chicago poker"; the leitmotif of this strategy is "Fold early and often" :-)

One of the players in particular was a spectacular risk-taker; while I was at the table, he lost $400,600. Every time he hit the felt, he'd immediately reup for the maximum initial stake of $40,000. He never slowed down his manic betting pattern, frequently going all in. He basically met with one of two outcomes every time he did this:

1. everyone else would fold, and he'd win a paltry amount
2. one or more people would call him, and he'd lose the hand and hit the felt

I knew if I could just hang in there, folding away, eventually I'd get a hand I could really back. That turned out to be the case; on hand 53, I went all in to win a pot worth $49,800.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 54 hands and saw flop:
- 3 out of 7 times while in big blind (42%)
- 4 out of 8 times while in small blind (50%)
- 17 out of 39 times in other positions (43%)
- a total of 24 out of 54 (44%)
Pots won at showdown - 2 of 5 (40%)
Pots won without showdown - 0

delta: $9,400
balance: $3,150,846

No comments:

Post a Comment