Monday, February 13, 2012

Applicable chess advice

On Saturday night, I had a winning session. The form it took reminded me of some advice I read long ago in a book of chess instruction. The author said that in order to win a game of chess, it's necessary to win the opening, the middlegame, and the endgame. It's not sufficient simply to win the opening, or simply to win the opening and the middlegame. You can't rest on your laurels; you must stay vigilant throughout the game. The same is true of poker. If you let your concentration slip just once, your night could easily be over.

The truth is, it's much easier to lose a game of chess than it is to win one; there are so many different ways to lose, but very few ways to win. It's also much easier to lose a poker session than to win one, although sometimes winning seems very easy. On Saturday night, I played about as well as I know how to play, and only came out with a modest profit. I think the quality of play of my opponents has been much better lately; I definitely need to adjust for this. Poker is a game of constant adjustment; nothing ever stays the same. That's definitely part of its appeal!

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 145 hands and saw flop:
- 23 out of 29 times while in big blind (79%)
- 24 out of 33 times while in small blind (72%)
- 47 out of 83 times in other positions (56%)
- a total of 94 out of 145 (64%)
Pots won at showdown - 17 of 23 (73%)
Pots won without showdown - 11

delta: $16,410
balance: $3,144,372

No comments:

Post a Comment