Thursday, November 4, 2010

The siren call of Omaha

Though this may seem prideful, I know I'm a very good Hold'em player (recent results notwithstanding). I don't feel very challenged by it any more, though. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy playing it quite a lot. However, I want more of a challenge. I realize now that I wimped out on Omaha the first time I tried it; I was trying to judge it by Hold'em standards, instead of by its own. Omaha is a devilishly difficult game, and for that very reason I find myself being drawn back to it. Whether I'm actually being drawn back to Omaha itself, or to my idealized vision of what Omaha should be, I'm not sure yet.

So here's what I propose: when I hit the play million mark again, I'll give Omaha another shot. This time, I'll be prepared to accept a lot more volatility in my results. I won't even think about the golden ratio, or losing streaks, or gambling away my Hold'em winnings. I won't complain about the quality of Omaha player I encounter, either. My aim will simply be to learn and master the intricacies of Omaha.

On Tuesday night, I lost half my stack in the first third of the session, then won it all back and more in the latter two thirds.

delta: $13,771
balance: $900,820

No comments:

Post a Comment