Thursday, October 28, 2010

Too many flops

Last night, my stack experienced a wild ride in the first part of the session, then settled down into a long, smooth, and painful descent to the felt. Here are the stats:

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 77 hands and saw flop:
- 12 out of 13 times while in big blind (92%)
- 13 out of 14 times while in small blind (92%)
- 40 out of 50 times in other positions (80%)
- a total of 65 out of 77 (84%)
Pots won at showdown - 8 of 20 (40%)
Pots won without showdown - 2

Here's my train of thought on reviewing these stats:

1. my showdown percentage is too low
2. that's because I went to showdown too many times
3. that's because I saw too many flops

It just doesn't make sense to pay to see the flop with a flat out poor hand, or even with a marginal one. I realize that somewhere along the way I've lost my discipline. When I first started playing the higher stakes play tables again (in March of this year), I was really scared of the amounts, and didn't have a problem folding early and often. Since I had enough success to make it to my goal of a million play dollars (even though I haven't been able to stay at that level) I've become both jaded and complacent. Funnily enough, I realize I need to play with more fear!

My goal for tonight's session is to see the flop on at most half of the hands I'm dealt.

delta: $-40,000
balance: $769,149

No comments:

Post a Comment