Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Twotoyée

Over two thirds of my life ago, I learned French in school. Not much of what I learned remains accessible to me, not very surprisingly. One of the few things which does is that there are two ways to say "you" in French. One is formal (vous) and the other is informal (tu). You're only supposed to use the informal you with your loved ones or close friends. It would be a social gaffe to use the informal you with your French teacher, for instance. The French even came up with a word for this gaffe. It's a verb, actually - tutoyer. If you inappropriately use the informal you, the object of your misplaced affection has been tutoyée.

Let me introduce a homonym of this word into the poker world. You saw it here first! :-) When the poker gods want to give you a gentle nudge towards the poker exit, they will often twotoyer you. This is what I call it when they deal you a deuce as one of your hole cards. I have a rule of thumb never to play a hand where one of my hole cards is a deuce; the only exception is when both are deuces. Being dealt a deuce and any other card is almost like being dealt only one card instead of two. I'm certainly not the first person to observe this.

Last night, on hand 82, I was dealt 2h Ks. I knew that was my exit cue, and took it.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 82 hands and saw flop:
 - 12 out of 13 times while in big blind (92%)
 - 7 out of 13 times while in small blind (53%)
 - 29 out of 56 times in other positions (51%)
 - a total of 48 out of 82 (58%)
 Pots won at showdown - 3 of 6 (50%)
 Pots won without showdown - 5

delta: $-35,322
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,426,131
balance: $7,783,084

No comments:

Post a Comment