Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A new high

Tonight my balance hit a new high for the first time in nearly a year; I'm psyched! My new new rule to never bet the pot saved my bacon tonight. The old me would have hit the felt for sure.

Here's the hand I'm talking about:

I was dealt: 7c 8c
the flop: 4s 5h 7d
the turn: Ac
the river: 6c

As you can see, I made the top straight on the flop, and there was no flush possibility on the board. There were two players besides me who made it to the river. I was sure that either I had the best hand, or at worst would split the pot with one of the others, if one of them also happened to have an 8. That meant it was to my advantage to keep raising until the weak link in the chain (one of the other two players) either went all in or folded. I figured I'd be getting at least half of the weak link's bets. The weak link did end up going all in. I felt so good about my hand I raised a couple of more times, but the other remaining player kept reraising me, so I called the third time the action was on me after the all-in. Imagine my shock and chagrin when the remaining player turned over 8d 9d, beating my 8 high straight with a 9 high! What are the odds of that happening? I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Anyway, my point is that my earlier poker self would have been undisciplined enough to bet the pot in that situation, and would have quickly gone all in and hit the felt. As it was, my starting stack of $40K was suddenly down to $13K, but thankfully that was enough of a stake for me to work with; I wasn't crippled.

delta: $6,300
balance: $345,393

No comments:

Post a Comment