Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fool's gold

Last night I had another -$40K correction, and then there was a power outage. Poker interruptus! That's frustrating. The correction taught me a valuable lesson, though. I realized I'd been taught this same lesson several times before, but it had never "taken". I promise I've learned it now! The first time was when I hit the felt playing offline poker at my company's holiday party. I remember the hand that beat me was trip queens over my two pairs. There were two queens in the flop, and the third card paired one of my hole cards -- I'm pretty sure it was a king. This type of flop is what I now recognize as pure fool's gold. It's just not worth playing, period. I've sworn off it for good now.

I way overvalued this same type of hand last night, to the tune of about $32K. The one extenuating circumstance was that there were a lot of high rollers at the table, and they'd demonstrated to me on previous hands that they were willing to go all in without premium hands. I had top pair in my two pair. One of the high rollers had just rocketed his stack up to over $240K in front of my eyes, and I was blinded by all those dollar signs and got greedy. I hit the felt, deservedly. Again, it was trips that beat me.

I only got to play about three or four hands after I re-upped at another table before the power went out.

delta: -$41,300
balance: $475,927

No comments:

Post a Comment