Thursday, March 4, 2010

Good news and bad news

The good news: my streak of losing sessions ended last night. The bad news: it ended with a whimper, not a bang; for all intents and purposes, I ended up even on the night. It's too early to tell whether I'm out of my latest slump yet or not.

The thing about slumps is that a winning session here or there doesn't end them, just like a losing session here or there doesn't stem the tide of a rising moving average. I've had the good fortune to be on a slowly rising tide for most of my poker life, so I can weather an ebb or two!

Things got kind of crazy towards the end of the session. After not winning many pots all night, suddenly I was winning them in bunches. At first I just wanted my stack to return to its starting size, from being about $250 down. When I got there, though, I decided to play just one more hand; then when I won that one, just another, etc. I got up to $2,500 and should have cashed out right there, but succumbed to the desire to play just one more. Here's how my final hand went down:

chips at start of hand: $2,528
dealt to me: Qc Jh; I called a raise to $40
flop: Qs 2c 9h; I opened the betting at $100, and called a raise to $300
turn: 6s; the player who raised me on the flop bet $500, and I folded
net loss on the hand: $340

An expensive way to end my night. It was silly to call the raise on the flop, but I was lulled into a sense of invulnerability by having won 3 of the last 4 pots prior to that one.

Here are my stats from the session, according to PokerStars:

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 66 hands and saw flop:
- 15 out of 15 times while in big blind (100%)
- 13 out of 15 times while in small blind (86%)
- 35 out of 36 times in other positions (97%)
- a total of 63 out of 66 (95%)
Pots won at showdown - 7 of 9 (77%)
Pots won without showdown - 6

It would have been a great night if I could have just avoided that last call. Another costly lapse.

delta: $188
balance: $282,046

No comments:

Post a Comment