Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The beauty of versatility

By a series of happy accidents, occurring over a long period of time, I think I've finally found my perfect poker niche. For a long time, I believed it was cash game pot limit hold'em. For an even long time, I believed it was cash game no limit hold'em. At times I wanted it to be (but acknowledge it never was) cash game pot limit Omaha. At other times I wanted it to be (but acknowledge it never was) cash game deuce to the seven triple draw lowball. At other times I wanted it to be (but acknowledge it never was) cash game seven card stud. At still other times I wanted it to be (but acknowledge it never was) sit and go no limit hold'em. Imagine my surprise to discover that the most fun I have at a poker table is when I'm playing MTT 8-games. The best flavor of poker to play, regardless of how well you do at it, is the flavor that provides you with the most fun. Of course, the better you do, the funner it is :-)

Last night, I cashed in my third MTT in a row. The first and third were MTT 8-games; the middle one was an MTT no limit hold'em I entered the session before last when no 8-game was in the offing. Probably not coincidentally, I barely made the money in the MTT no limit hold'em, but finished quite a bit higher in the 8-games.

Am I really good at 8-games, or is this a fluke? I'm pretty sure it's not a fluke, since I did very well in sit and go 8-games before I ever thought of playing MTTs. Why am I good at 8-games? The answer's pretty simple. I'm not the best at any of the games, but I'm quite good at all of them. That means I can pretty much trounce anyone who's the best at one or two of the flavors.

buy_in entry_fee num_players num_hands place winnings

  4500       500           6       151     7    14470


delta: $9,470
8-game tournament balance: $395,620
balance: $9,488,950

No comments:

Post a Comment