Saturday, January 18, 2014

A birth as rare

From the first time I read it, I loved Andrew Marvell's poem "The Definition of Love". Here's how it begins:

My Love is of a birth as rare   
As 'tis for object strange and high:   
It was begotten by despair   
Upon Impossibility.


Poker has shown me some fascinatingly rare births. Last night, though my winning streak ended, I was consoled by the fact that I was witness to one of them. For three straight hands, I was dealt essentially the same hand. What I mean by this is that though it wasn't the exact same two cards each time, it was the same two cards when the order in which they were dealt is ignored and when suit is ignored except for whether or not the two cards share the same one. The three hands were:

Qd 2h
Qs 2d
2d Qh


The short version is that I was dealt Q2o (queen deuce offsuit) three times in a row. What are the odds of being dealt the same hand three times in a row? I'll tell you, grasshopper. 1 in 28,561. Pretty long odds. I decided to write a utility to discover how many times a three-peat like this has happened to me in my poker career. It turns out it's happened just three times. The first time, the hand was 93s (nine three suited). Guess what the hand was the second time? It was none other than Q2o. You just can't make this shit up :-)

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 124 hands and saw flop:
 - 14 out of 18 times while in big blind (77%)
 - 8 out of 16 times while in small blind (50%)
 - 41 out of 90 times in other positions (45%)
 - a total of 63 out of 124 (50%)
 Pots won at showdown - 3 of 15 (20%)
 Pots won without showdown - 14

delta: $-55,617
cash game no limit hold'em balance: $5,149,488
balance: $7,506,441

No comments:

Post a Comment