Tuesday, March 1, 2022

A close relative of the dead man's hand

In poker, the dead man's hand consists of the ace of spades, the ace of clubs, the eight of spades, the eight of clubs, and an unknown fifth card. That's reputedly the hand that "Wild Bill" Hickock held when he was murdered at the poker table, shot from behind, in 1876. Last night, an opponent held a close relative of the dead man's hand, and it put me in a world of hurt. I was dealt A5o (ace five offsuit), and paired both my hole cards on the flop. I bet it down the line, but lost to the aces and eights of an opponent who'd been dealt an ace and an eight. Wouldn't you know, he paired his eight on the river. I didn't hit the rail, but my stack took a big hit. I don't remember the suits of the aces and eights, but am fairly certain my opponent didn't have the canonical dead man's hand. There are 36 different combinations of aces and eights, so it would be highly unlikely for my opponent to have had the only combination where all the colors are black.

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE    45000   5000       6      85   21    51        0

delta: $-50,000
MTT NLHE balance: $40,309,968
2022 balance: $-3,912,300
blue distance: $3,929,500
balance: $90,931,653

No comments:

Post a Comment