Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The ignorant straight

In hold'em, you have to be wary of backing the ignorant end of a straight. That is, you shouldn't bet too heavily when you've made the low end, since an opponent might well have made the high end. In stud, there's no such thing as a low end or a high end to straights, since there are no community cards. If you've made a straight, what you have to be wary of is an opponent having made a completely separate, better straight. In such a case, your whole straight is ignorant; just call it the ignorant straight :-) Last night, when I had made it almost all the way back into the black, I made an ignorant straight on seventh street. Blinded by my zeal to return to profitability, I confess I didn't even check to see what my opponent's up cards were; I simply "knew" my hand would win. Sheer folly! My opponent had made a better straight on sixth street. I had no business raising on seventh, but did anyway. I've now fallen from the lapis ratio in stud to the platinum ratio. I have a strong hunch I won't be able to get back to lapis, so I'll aim for maintaining platinum.

During current Stud session you were dealt 104 hands and:
- saw fourth street 84 times (80%)
- saw fifth street 73 times (70%)
- saw sixth street 63 times (60%)
- reached showdown 32 times (30%)
 Pots won at showdown - 9 of 32 (28%)
 Pots won without showdown - 5

delta: $-16,691
cash game 7 card stud balance: $80,216
balance: $10,165,950

No comments:

Post a Comment