Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tilt detection

I've been meaning to devote a post to the topic of tilt detection for a while now. What I mean by this is when you pick up a signal that an opponent has started betting irrationally, for whatever reason. Very often it will be due to the loss of a big hand when the odds were heavily against the winner (the prototypical bad beat), but there are many scenarios.

Tilt detection can be dangerous for the detector; it's very tempting to call every bet of a tilting player, but that isn't safe when there are others still in the hand. Many times when I've detected a tilter, I've been right about that but wrong about staying in the hand. Going to showdown in this type of situation, my hand almost invariably beats the tilter's hand, but often comes up short to the hand of another player who called the tilter's crazy bets right along with me.

The safest scenario is when the tilter is severely short-stacked, makes a huge bet, and nobody calls except you. That came up recently, and I took the tilter to the felt.

Last night, I bided my time until I was able to get a really decent gain on a single hand, then cashed out.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 37 hands and saw flop:
- 7 out of 7 times while in big blind (100%)
- 7 out of 7 times while in small blind (100%)
- 14 out of 23 times in other positions (60%)
- a total of 28 out of 37 (75%)
Pots won at showdown - 3 of 6 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 3

delta: $22,000
balance: $983,623

No comments:

Post a Comment