Friday, January 28, 2011

A new language

Last night, I discovered there are no big stakes play money Omaha tables on PokerStars. I guess I should have remembered that from before. The biggest play money tables I could find were 5/10 tables. To make matters worse, I forgot that PokerStars jumbles all the Omaha betting flavors into one big list of tables, and I happened to pick a limit table instead of a pot limit table by mistake. Maybe that wasn't so bad, though; since I'm really rusty at Omaha, it's just as well I picked a betting flavor which basically guaranteed I wouldn't be winning or losing very much.

I remember reading online somewhere a great definition of Omaha -- that it's a game devised by a sadist and played by masochists :-) The cruel nature of the game came back to me in the course of the session. At one point I had two good hands in a row which got beaten -- a full house got beaten by a better full house, and a straight got beaten by a flush. If the game had been Hold'em, I'm sure those hands would have won. I have to set aside my Hold'em knowledge, and learn Omaha as if I knew nothing whatsoever about poker. It'll be a lot like learning a new language.

During current Omaha session you were dealt 87 hands and saw flop:
- 26 out of 27 times while in big blind (96%)
- 23 out of 26 times while in small blind (88%)
- 20 out of 34 times in other positions (58%)
- a total of 69 out of 87 (79%)
Pots won at showdown - 17 of 30 (56%)
Pots won without showdown - 7

delta: $-370
balance: $1,017,607

No comments:

Post a Comment