Friday, December 3, 2010

Kickers

Over time, I've evolved a philosophy of kickers; that is to say, a set of heuristics to apply to the problem of deciding whether or not your kicker is good enough when you've been dealt a non-pair. It's taken me a long time, but I've finally gotten serious about fwepping any non-pair hand where the bottom card is a two or a three, before the flop.

Last night, I went up about $9K very early on, and was on the verge of calling it a night when I was dealt an 8 Q offsuit. The flop came 4 Q 2, the turn was a 9, and the river was a 5. I bet $1K on the turn, and $2K on the river. My pair of queens lost to another pair of queens which had a better kicker -- a jack.

I don't feel bad about what happened. My eight really was a decent kicker. Eights are exactly in the middle of a suit; they have six cards below them and six cards above them. My evolving rule about kickers is that they must be an 8 or above when your high card is paint.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 10 hands and saw flop:
- 2 out of 2 times while in big blind (100%)
- 0 out of 2 times while in small blind (0%)
- 3 out of 6 times in other positions (50%)
- a total of 5 out of 10 (50%)
Pots won at showdown - 2 of 3 (66%)
Pots won without showdown - 0

delta: $6,100
balance: $864,638

No comments:

Post a Comment