Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Poker rhythms

Play poker long enough, and you start to feel the rhythms of the game. Nothing ever stays the same; stacks are continually bobbing up and down. The tide comes in and out. You eventually get a sense of when it's about your turn to receive some good cards.

In high school, I had a Math teacher who would always give us the same advice when he gave us a test -- "Take your time, but hurry up". That was excellent advice for test-taking, and it also happens to be excellent advice for poker-playing. Take your time waiting for the good cards to come along, but when they do, hurry up and recognize it!

I watched a couple of overly aggressive players flame out, and was the short stack among five remaining players. I felt one big hand would right my ship, and sensed that it was coming up. It did. I was dealt a suited J Q, and both the turn and river were queens. I bet it out, went all in, and actually got two callers; that pot was worth $3,125. Hasta la vista, baby!

delta: $1,115
balance: $287,858

No comments:

Post a Comment