Sunday, February 21, 2010

An embarassment of riches

If you play this wonderful game of poker long enough, once in a blue moon you'll have sessions where hand after hand, you're dealt premium cards. Don't quit too early when this happens! Ride the monster wave for all it's worth!

Let's look at the odds a moment. Given a table of 7 contestants, over time, you can only realistically expect to win one out of every 7 times. Tonight, I only played seven hands, but won 4 of them! That's outrageously good luck. In a word, it's "sick"!

I actually didn't follow the advice I just gave you. My sense of the severely rare nature of my good fortune forced me to leave the table after my fourth won pot.

I know I did nothing to deserve this extreme good fortune. Actually, that's not strictly true. I did do one thing to deserve it -- I kept playing long enough! By that I don't mean in this particular session, I mean in my overall poker life. If you play long enough, you'll eventually benefit from incredible good fortune. The trick is in not letting the bad fortune which will also inevitably come your way break either your spirit or your bankroll.

delta: $4,275
balance: $288,743

No comments:

Post a Comment