Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pocket kings

It was a short night tonight; I caught a premium hand early on and got a huge payoff from it. I was dealt pocket kings, and the button was trying to throw his weight around. There were no overcards on the flop, turn, or river. I bet big on the turn -- $500. The button doubled me up, and someone else reraised before it was my turn to act again. I ended up going all in, and raked in a pot worth $5,890. I won't pretend I wasn't nervous, but was fairly sure I had the best hand. I knew that win or lose, it was the right poker play to stick with the kings to the end.

Poker takes guts, no question about it. You can't win if you can't face risking all your chips on a single hand from time to time. You need to try to optimize your chances that it's the best hand, though.

There's definitely a yin and yang to poker. If you're too aggressive, you're toast. If you're not aggressive enough, you're also toast. Tonight I was lucky enough to join a table which had some players who were just a bit too aggressive for their own good.

I let my pocket kings sing, and it sure was sweet music!

delta: $3,860
balance: $279,908

No comments:

Post a Comment