Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The perfect disguise

Poker is all about disguising the strength (or weakness) of your hand. A good disguise can be achieved solely by actions (or non-actions) on your part. Whether you lead the betting, raise, check, or call; and when you do bet or raise, how many chips you put in the middle. To achieve the perfect disguise, however, you need some help from the poker gods. I got such help in spades (pun intended) on the most memorable hand of last night's session. I was dealt pocket fours, and hit a full house of fours full of jacks on the turn. At this point, the board showed three spades. I checked instead of betting. The river was a fourth spade. I bet a decent amount, representing that I had a spade in my hand. I was hoping my opponent actually had a spade, and a high one. He did, and went all in. I snap called, and raked in a pot of more than 3,000 chips. My river bet probably wouldn't have worked if I'd bet the turn, and it definitely wouldn't have worked if my opponent hadn't had a flush. I knew he did, however; sometimes, you just know :-)

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000  26000       6      85   21    26        0

delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $23,565,768
2021 balance: $244,000
blue distance: $1,271,900
balance: $77,909,453

No comments:

Post a Comment