Monday, February 8, 2021

Poker tax

Paying to see the flop is similar to paying taxes, except that you pay the tax before you gain the revenue. It's incredible how often, when I try to get cute and avoid paying tax on a marginal hand, I'm punished by a flop which would have given me a great chance of winning. I don't get cute as often as I used to, it's true, but I still do it a bit too much.

This is an excerpt from my August 10, 2010 post. Last night, I failed to pay the tax on a hand where I'd been dealt ducks (pocket deuces) and immediately regretted it when a third deuce showed up in the flop. The tax on a pocket pair should almost always be paid, provided it doesn't exceed a big blind. My mighty ducks would have won that hand had I paid for them; seeing as I narrowly missed the money, it was quite a costly mistake.

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000  26000       6     102   24    26        0

delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $23,619,768
2021 balance: $298,000
blue distance: $1,217,900
balance: $77,963,453

1 comment:

  1. Hey Neo,
    It is accepted as the correct strategy by literally every pro poker player that limping (just calling the big blind) is a losing strategy. Instead, you should look to raise with any hand you wish to play, provided that the pot is unopen. This is done because better players than you will capitalize on your weak limping range and attack you aggressively. Also, I think all of the readers would appreciate if you could share some hand histories in these blogs. Good luck.
    Thanks,
    Al

    ReplyDelete