Monday, August 19, 2019

If you can't raise, you can't win

There are a lot of poker axioms, and they generally have interesting corollaries. The title of this post is my latest poker axiom, illustrated by my results in last night's session. I wasn't able to raise a single time, and missed the money by a country mile. Here's the corollary:

You can't win by raising for no good reason.

Since I had no good reason to raise last night, I didn't. Since I didn't raise, I didn't make the money. Conclusion: I played as well as the cards would allow me to.

Just for fun, I scraped my poker data for other MTT NLHE tournaments where I was unable to raise a single time. Here are the numbers:

125 total number of no raise tournaments
 18 total number of no raise tournaments where I made the money

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000 26000       6    65      75   21    38        0


delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $4,486,668
2019 balance: $19,395,150
balance: $65,979,410

1 comment:

  1. You are only playing half the game if you never bluff. There's an axiom for ya

    ReplyDelete