Friday, August 28, 2015

El folderissimo

Many a time, I've imparted my words of poker wisdom via this blog. This post will be no different. I used to announce, periodically and in a grandiose manner, the secret to success at poker. The secret chafed under this behavior, and promptly changed itself :-) I'll try to dial back on what I'm claiming this time around. What I'm about to impart to you is a special case; rather than being the secret to success at poker in general, this is the secret to success at huge field MTTs. Though it's easy to state, it's considerably harder to obey.

Fold, fold, and fold again. After that, just for spite, fold some more. The majority of poker players can't follow this simple advice for the life of them. I can't quite follow it myself :-) Of course, if you folded every single hand, you couldn't win, so I'm exaggerating here - but only by a tiny bit.

Of the 771 sessions of cash game no limit hold'em I've played for which I have the complete hand histories, my lowest seeing the flop percentage is 22.22 (2 for 9). Last night, in the second huge field MTT I entered, my seeing the flop percentage was just a squeak higher - 22.78 (18 for 79). I made the money. At 1,208 players, it was the most massive field I've played in yet; I'm hoping for an even bigger one tonight.

style flavor buy_in entry players hands place winnings

MTT   8-Game   4500   500       6    22    52        0
MTT   NLHE      900   100       6    14   566        0
MTT   NLHE      900   100       9    79   141     2554


delta: $-4,446
MTT NLHE balance: $-29,530
balance: $7,419,514

No comments:

Post a Comment