Monday, August 13, 2012

Double first

In the British educational system, a double first is an exceptional achievement; it signifies first class honors in parts one and two of one's selected field of study. I'm indebted to my father, who achieved a double first in the natural sciences at King's College Cambridge, for this definition. In poker, a double first is not nearly as exceptional, but is still commendable; it signifies winning two tournaments in a row. Last Wednesday night, I entered two sit and go tournaments and won both, for the second double first of my young sit and go career.

You may be saying to yourself, "Wait. Sit and go career? I thought neo swore off sit and gos. What's he doing going back to them?" That's a legitimate question. The fact is, playing cash games all the time can get really boring. There's an excitement level to sit and gos that's highly addicting. You're forced out of your comfort zone. You're required to make bold moves - not all the time, but you must make them at times, or forfeit any chance of winning. Picking the right time to be bold is extremely satisfying.

The way I look at it, my mastery of the cash game is funding my education in tournaments; any money I lose in tournaments is money well spent, as long as I'm learning. So far, I believe I'm learning well!

buy_in entry_fee num_players num_hands place winnings

 50000       800           6        54     1   195000
 80000      1000           6        86     1   312000

delta: $375,200
balance: $4,951,071

No comments:

Post a Comment