Wednesday, February 2, 2022

The perfect storm for a hero call

As a rule, I don't make hero calls. Last night, I made an exception. A hero call is when you have a marginal  hand, a player who acts before you bets huge on the river, and you can't shake the conviction that he's bluffing, so you call. You don't actually have to win the hand for this to qualify as a hero call; some wags, however, might classify it as a zero call :-) I didn't win the hand; instead, I hit the rail, as the call put me all in. Here's how the hand went down, as well as I can remember: I was dealt a pair of nines, and they were overcards to the flop. I bet on both the flop and the turn, and got one opponent to come along. The river put a third spade on the board; the door card of the flop, the turn, and the river were all spades. I was positive that my opponent hadn't backed into a flush. I also believed my opponent was bluffing, since he went all in on the river. If he truly had a winning hand, the best play would be to put out a value bet of some kind, to increase the chances of getting a call and winning a bigger pot. Going all in really doesn't make sense in this scenario. This was the perfect storm for a hero call. The flush draw distracted me from noticing that there was a straight draw out there, too. The big bet convinced me that my opponent was bluffing that he'd hit a flush, since it was a play I wouldn't make if I'd hit a flush. I was only right about one thing: my opponent didn't hit a flush. Instead, he hit a straight :-)

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000  26000       6      61   18    34        0

delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $40,997,268
2022 balance: $-3,225,000
blue distance: $3,242,200
balance: $91,618,953

No comments:

Post a Comment