Saturday, February 26, 2022

Destined to lose

In one of the poker books I've read, the philosophy is put forth that there are just some hands which you're destined to lose, since you won't be able to stop yourself from backing them all the way down the line. The idea is that this is perfectly fine, since you should be able to back strong hands this strongly. I agree!

This is an excerpt from my June 3, 2012 post. Last night, I was destined to lose the hand where I was dealt king small of spades, and made a king high spade flush on the river. I lost to an opponent who'd made a full house. A full house can only be made when at least one pair is showing on the board. When two pair are showing, it's prudent to fold a flush. When only one pair is showing, however, the right play in hold'em is to call any river bet. That was the situation last night. Losing that hand crippled my stack; I went from near the top of leaderboard to near the bottom. However, I have no regrets.

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000  26000       6      69   18    32        0

delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $40,069,968
2022 balance: $-4,152,300
blue distance: $4,169,500
balance: $90,691,653

No comments:

Post a Comment