Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Flight patterns

I have several metaphors I employ to bring poker tournament play to life. They have one thing in common - they all involve travel. My favorite metaphor is a train ride. In this post, however, I've chosen to return to the metaphor of a hot air balloon ride. Imagine being at the summit of a mountain, in the middle of a vast field. At one edge of the field, the mountain drops precipitously away. Colorful hot air balloons are in the process of being inflated throughout the field. A strong breeze is blowing which will push each balloon over the cliff edge as soon as the balloon becomes airborne. Each balloon will describe a different flight pattern. Some will steadily descend, until they land in the valley far below. Others will oscillate between rising and falling, enabling them to travel further before eventually landing. Others will rise high above the rest, enabling them to travel further still. One balloon will never come down at all.

Last night, my balloon took an early rise, then steadily descended toward the valley. I realized well before landing that there was nothing I could do to stop the descent. When I landed, there were three minutes left in the late registration period. C'est la vie.

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE    87000  13000       6      41   10     -        0

delta: $-100,000
MTT NLHE balance: $42,471,268
2021 balance: $16,649,500
blue distance: $546,200
balance: $94,314,953

No comments:

Post a Comment